Local artists Nicholas Reti (above left) and Ivy Walker (above middle) received a Paid to Create grant in Fall 2017 for their project called “The History of Art in Crested Butte” with the goals of uncovering, discovering, and archiving our local art history. The project quickly demonstrated that Gunnison Valley had a longer and deeper art history than many imagined. Through their research, Reti and Walker realized that the earliest art in the valley can be traced to the first U.S. Geological surveys of the area that occurred concurrently with the mining boom of the 1870’s. Reti compiled months of research and purchased a small number of historical prints and photographs to build the foundation for the project while Walker took the lead as project manager. Additionally, Peggy Morgan Stenmark (above right) volunteered hours of research to the project. Lastly, Shaffer Nickel, created this video about the film featuring animation by Ryan Sullivan.
Recent Blog Post
- Professional Development Opportunity: Create Your Own Sustainable Website
- Professional Development Opportunity: Write Your Way Forward
- Call for Artists: 2019 CB Arts Festival
- Looking back on 2018
- Celebrate the Holidays with this free community event!
- Give Creatively this Holiday Season!
- Holiday Makers Market on December 2, 2018
- Professional Development Opportunity: Craft Your Bio & Photo
- Supporting Youth Arts Education: Nicolò Spera Guitar Workshop
- Call for artists from Creative Districts: Artshare 2019