The Creative District
Since 2014, Crested Butte has worked to establish itself as one of Colorado’s Creative Districts. In 2015, the Crested Butte Town Council adopted the Creative District’s strategic plan and appointed a Creative District Commission.
Crested Butte was certified as a Creative District in the summer of 2016, joining seventeen other districts in the state of Colorado. Colorado Creative Industries, a program of the Office of Economic Development and International Trade, offers the Creative District program for towns and neighborhoods in order to:
- Create hubs and clusters of economic activity
- Promote a community’s unique identity
- Enhance areas as appealing places to live, conduct business and attract visitors
Since its inception, the Crested Butte Creative District has:
- Written a strategic plan, establishing goals for programming, community engagement, physical characteristics of the district, identity of the district, economic development, and social cohesion
- Established a small grants program for local creatives
- Partnered with the Tourism Association to promote local creatives and Crested Butte’s amazing cultural offerings
- Worked with the Town to develop a new wayfinding system
- Established the Creative District through branding, website development, and community outreach
- Built a directory of local creatives and begun to develop paid opportunities for local creatives
The Crested Butte Creative District develops cultural patronage so that creatives and creative businesses thrive.
The Creative District nurtures a vibrant creative culture in downtown Crested Butte through support for local artists, increased collaboration between creative organizations, and increased visibility of the arts and creativity throughout the Creative District. The Creative District preserves the fun, funky character and cohesive community identity that has set Crested Butte apart from other mountain resort towns.