The Creative District aims to foster an appreciation of the arts in our youth community by working closely with the Crested Butte Community School to provide funding and support for additional arts education programming.
The Creative District allocates education funds for new arts programs at the school and the expansion of existing programs which
(1) demonstrate a need for funding, and
(2) can demonstrate how they will have an impact on arts education.
For the 2018 school year, the Creative District has awarded the following programs:
- CBCS Upper School Art Department for the purchase of a new ceramics wheel
- CBCS “Celebrate the Beat” Dance Performance for production costs
- CBCS Enrichment Program to fund the after-school violin program, extend the drama club, and fund the guitar master class with Nicolo Spera.
- A.P. Art Mentor Program (with matching funds from the Center for the Arts)
Check out the video below to learn more about the Kindergarten Art Program, which the Creative District supported in 2017:
Art Mentor Program
In 2017, the Crested Butte Creative District partnered with the Community School and Center for the Arts to develop an art mentor program for AP art students. The mentor program pairs an AP art student with a local artist to provide a mentor figure for each student and to help each student gain new skills and knowledge about entering the art industry. The first year of the art mentor program was a great success, and the Creative District is looking forward to expanding this program in 2018 to even more students.
“Working with Donna Rozman was pivotal in creating my AP 3D art portfolio. Almost every single piece I submitted used techniques and/or materials that Donna provided. At the beginning of the year, I was hitting a lull. I was planning to make tea sets as my portfolio concentration, but this idea did not really fit what I envisioned myself pursuing as an artist. Donna inspired me to pursue groundbreaking techniques in ceramics…As a young artist, it has been so important to have multiple mentors in order to find my own voice. Donna has taught me things I will never forget, and she has shaped my art immensely. I am so grateful for the opportunity to work with her.” –Malia Olsen, Art Mentor Program Participant